Disc herniations can happen to anyone, as they can occur due to one unnatural strain or accident-related injury or due to habitual patterns and lifestyles. To know whether you suffer from a herniated disc, you have to understand what they are, their symptoms, and why people get them.
This article discusses:
- What a disc herniation is
- Reasons you may have a herniated disc
- How to help prevent disc herniations
- Chiropractic solutions for disc herniation
- And more
If you’re experiencing discomfort, you may have a disc herniation that can be quickly and easily treated with chiropractic solutions and other natural care. Read on to learn more.
What is a Herniated Disc?
The spine comprises several small bones called vertebrae that stack upon each other. Each is separated by a shock-absorbent disc that has a hard shell and soft center; the discs are what give the spine its fluidity and flexibility.
When the disc’s gel-like center pushes through its casing, it’s become herniated.
Causes of a herniated disc include:
- Poor posture and movement patterns
- Trauma, such as a sports injury or car accident
- Aging or regular wear and tear
- Regular improper lifting technique due to occupation or sports
Sometimes there is little to no discomfort when the disc is herniated; however, other times, the pain can be severe, impairing many aspects of life.
Common symptoms and conditions related to disc herniation include:
- Pain that varies from dull to intense
- Loss of range of motion and flexibility
- Low back pain and mid-back pain
- Arm pain
- Neck pain
- Hip pain and leg pain
- Muscle weakness and spasms
- Numbness and tingling sensations
- Degenerative disc disease
- Plantar fasciitis or foot pain
- Pinched nerve
- And more
These symptoms are the body’s way of telling you something is wrong, so getting a treatment plan in place should be your next step.
Tips to Help Avoid Disc Herniation
The best way to help prevent injuries to the body, like disc herniations, is to keep it protected and strong.
You can help contribute to a healthy body and the prevention of a herniated disc in several ways, including:
- Exercise and stretch daily; the stronger and more flexible you are, the better your body can react to and heal from trauma. Core work is important to back strength and spine protection, and don’t forget to warm up and cool down.
- Always wear the appropriate shoes for your activities while at work, play, and sport.
- Get plenty of rest and sleep; this is essential to recovering and restoring the body and mind.
- Don’t stress; find healthy ways to minimize and manage mental stress and anxiety, such as yoga, meditation, reading, etc. Mental stress can appear physically in many areas of the body, including the neck, which can impact the spine and surrounding soft tissues, compromising their integrity.
- Correct your posture to remove undue pressure on the spine.
- Stop activities that cause you pain and seek chiropractic care.
Unfortunately, many of us wait until we feel discomfort before caring for our tissues, joints, and spine. Adding the tips above to your routine can reduce the risk of injuries, imbalances, dysfunctions, and re-injury.
Visit Our Aurora Chiropractic Clinic for Disc Herniation Relief
Our Aurora chiropractic clinic has helped numerous patients find relief from disc herniations and given them guidance to keep those results. The chiropractic solutions we offer in our clinic complement our take-home movement plans and lifestyle insight for optimal and safe effects.
The chiropractic solutions we use to treat disc herniations include:
- Diversified Adjusting
- Cox Flexion
- Activator Technique
- High-intensity laser therapy
- Ultrasound therapy
- Electric muscle stimulation
We know you want to live pain-free and without restriction. Contact us today to heal your body and learn how to better support your spine moving forward.